Delta-8, also known as Delta-8 THC or Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol is a naturally occurring chemical compound found in a minuscule amount in cannabis or hemp plants.
To have a comprehensive overview of Delta-8, do check out this post till the end as we have discussed all the relevant information here!
What is Delta-8?
Delta-8 THC is one of more than 100 cannabinoids identified in cannabis sativa plants, but its composition in the same is extremely less. According to several cannabis studies, it’s been observed that high levels of delta-8 THC are generally generated from hemp-derived CBD.
This chemical compound was first been discovered in the late 20th century, by the father of cannabis, named Dr Raphael Mechoulam. Since then it’s open to perpetual lab testing.
However, when compared to a more prominent chemical compound found in the hemp plant, Delta-9, Delta-8 THC appears to be less potent but runs parallel to Delta-9 in the intoxicating experiences.
Differences: Delta-8 THC vs. Delta-9 THC vs. CBD
To have a more clear understanding of Delta-8 THC, it’s better to have a detailed comparison of the chemical compound with Delta-9 THC and CBD. Do check out the list mentioned below where we have compared all the 3 cannabis compounds on various factors.
1. Psychoactive Effects
- Delta-8 THC: Its intoxicating or psychoactive high is quite milder, which is due to its composition seen in a cannabis plant, as it’s very less.
- Delta-9 THC: Its intoxicating effects are significantly high and potent when compared to Delta-8 THC, as its content in the cannabis plant is on the higher side.
- CBD: It doesn’t induce any psychoactive effects or high.
- Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC are not federally legal in the United States, although state laws vary for recreational and medicinal use.
- CBD: This chemical compound is federally legal in North America after the 2018 farm bill, but has to follow certain guidelines, one of the prominent beings, it shouldn’t exceed 0.3% THC levels.
3. Adverse Effects
- Delta-8 THC: Its generally been observed that due to its milder effects, it poses fewer adverse effects on the cannabis user.
- Delta-9 THC: Given its high intoxicating effects, consuming in high quantity may lead to panic attacks and impaired ability to perform mental work
- CBD: Cannabis users have reported CBD to be well-balanced and have very less side effects.
4. Medical benefits
- Every cannabis compounds usually offer significant benefits, similarly, Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC also offer the same, the prominent ones being relief from chronic symptoms, nausea, and lessening appetite.
- Whereas CBD shares some of these benefits, including relief from inflammation, anxiety, and depression, they all are devoid of psychoactive effects.
5. Interactions with the endocannabinoid system
- Delta-8 THC, Delta-9 THC, and CBD, as well all know, are chemical compounds belonging to cannabis sativa, which are known to interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which aids in regulating various physiological processes, comprising inflammation and pain regulation. Moreover, these compounds are also known to bind with endocannabinoid receptors, which are found in various parts of the body and mostly control pain and sleep.
6. Chemical composition
- Delta-8 THC: Their chemical composition consists of a terpenoid and tricyclic structure, which may seem almost identical to Delta-9 THC, but its carbon-carbon double bonds are placed differently. However, reports have shown that this difference generates more stability in the chemical compound and significantly improves its shelf-life by reducing the process of oxidization.
- Delta-9 THC: Its chemical formula is the same as listed for Delta-9 THC and the difference only can be spotted at carbon double-bond placement.
- CBD: It contains a tetrahydro biphenyl skeleton, which may be considered similar to the above compounds, but its effects are quite different and has a bicyclic core.
Benefits of Delta-8 THC
For cannabis users, Delta-8 THC potential benefits may not be overly expressed unlike any other cannabis compound owing to its less presence in the cannabis plant, Check out the list mentioned below where we have explained its various benefits:
- Euphoria: Delta-8 THC produces a modest high that might cause feelings of joy and contentment.
- Relaxation: Delta-8 THC is thought to have soothing qualities that can aid in the relief of stress and anxiety.
Adverse effects of Delta-8 THC
It’s time we focus on the adverse effects of Delta-8 THC, which may be caused due excess dosage by the cannabis consumer. This can lead to various adverse effects on their health. Some of the major adverse effects are discussed below:
- Dry mouth: Delta-8 THC use may result in a dry mouth or a sensation of dehydration.
- Red Eyes: Consumption of Delta-8 THC may induce eye redness or discomfort, owing to high dosage.
- Rapid Heart Rate: Delta-8 THC consumption may induce an increase in heart rate.
- The trouble with Coordination: One of the adverse effects of Delta-8 THC is, it has the potential to impair coordination and balance.
- Delayed Reaction Times: Its use may delay reaction times or impair cognitive function.
- Anxiety: Some people may experience anxiety or paranoia after using Delta-8 THC, especially at greater dosages.
- Memory Impairment: Delta-8 THC consumption may impair short-term memory or make new memories difficult to establish.
Delta-8 THC product line: Ways to consume
Delta-8 THC since its introduction has always remained on the roll in the cannabis community given its availability in a wide variety of strains.
In this section, we have mentioned a list of Delta-8 THC product lines which highlight in what all the product varieties you can consume and enjoy this chemical compound.
Delta-8 THC gummies are a popular method of ingesting the chemical. They are manufactured by infusing Delta-8 THC oil or distillate into gummy sweets. Gummies are a discreet and handy method to absorb Delta-8 THC and are available in a variety of flavours and intensities.
These are the devices or gadgets that use heat to generate vapour from Delta-8 THC oil or distillate, which is then consumed. Because of their comfort and simplicity of usage, they are a popular choice among cannabis users. Delta-8 THC vaporizers are available in a variety of configurations, including pen-style, pod-style, and box mods, and may be used with pre-filled cartridges or refillable tanks.
E-cigarettes, also known as e-cigs, are electronic devices that vaporise Delta-8 THC e-liquids, also known as vape juices. They are a popular alternative to regular cigarettes and are frequently used by those trying to say away from smoking. E-cigarettes are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, and may be used with either pre-filled cartridges or refillable tanks.
Vape mods are accessories used to alter or enhance the performance of vaporizers. These can be used to modify the vaporizer’s temperature or airflow or to add additional functions like Bluetooth connectivity. Advanced cannabis users, especially those looking for Delta-8 THC, can wish to modify their vaping experience through these devices.
Pod and Mini Vapes
Pod and micro vapes are tiny, portable vaporizers meant for use on the go. They are frequently used with pre-filled cartridges and are a popular alternative for people looking for a discreet and simple way to absorb all the potential benefits of Delta-8 THC.
Delta-8 THC carts or cartridges are pre-filled canisters for vaporizers. They include Delta-8 THC oil or distillate and are available in a variety of flavours and robust effects. Because of their convenience and ease of usage, carts are a popular choice among cannabis users.
Where to buy the best quality Delta 8 products?
This is one of the pertinent questions every cannabis enthusiast often asks after witnessing a wide variety of Delta-8 THC products.
Well, the answer is simple, you may look through online sites or at various dispensaries, but according to us the convenience and advantages offered by online sites are quite compelling for any user to shift their attention to purchasing Delta-8 THC through online means.
Its generally been observed that by purchasing online you can avail a plethora of Delta-8 products ranging from vape carts, gummies, mini vapes, strains, and so on which usually may not be available at your local dispensaries.
Moreover, the ease you get in payment and free delivery through online sites are highly rewarding and provide a certain edge over offline means.
However, the decision is still yours but you must weigh the following pros and cons of online and offline means, to make the right decision while purchasing Delta-8 THC.