Cannabis enthusiasts continuously seek more discreet methods of consuming it. In doing so, weed tea is gaining extensive popularity, also known as marijuana tea.
It is very simple to make, and it has become widely popular among cannabis enthusiasts. Today, we will look at a comprehensive guide, including the step-by-step process of making weed tea, and discuss its benefits, dosage, and more information.
Understanding weed tea
Weed tea is a widely known cannabis beverage that can be made with marijuana flowers, leaves, or the stem of the plant.
In the process of making this beverage, the weed component is steeped in a combination of milk, butter, or oil, and some people also consider water. Due to the heat, the cannabinoids are extracted from the raw weed plant, resulting in the cannabinoids’ flavors and effects getting infused into the liquid used in its making. It makes a colorful and potent drink.
Note that the effects you get from the weed tee are not the same as from smoking or other traditional or modern ways. Through the weed tea, cannabinoids are taken into your body and go into your metabolism. It leads to its direct effect on the liver, and it delivers effects slowly. Also, it has effects that last longer than other modes of cannabis intake.
Decarboxylation: Activating the THC
You cannot directly add weed to the liquid ingredient of your cannabis tea. The decarboxylation process is a crucial part of making any edible or beverage out of cannabis. This is a process that activates cannabinoids by changing the THCA into THC through the process of baking the cannabis. Unless and until the THC is activated, you cannot experience the psychoactive effects of cannabis.
You must be very careful while decarboxylating cannabis for making weed tea. You must carefully spread the cannabis on the baking sheet and then only put it into your baking equipment. Preheat your baking equipment to around 115°C, then bake the cannabis for 40 to 60 minutes.
Preparing the ingredients
There are several ingredients that you need to make weed tea. Below given are the things that you are going to need to make your cannabis beverage.
- The first thing you need is none other than decarboxylated cannabis.
- Water or a mixture of fat with water. You can consider any kind of fat that you prefer the most. You can take oil, butter, or milk.
- Tea Bags or Loose Tea as per your preference.
- Sweeteners, herbs, and spices are not necessary to be added to your cannabis tea. However, if you want a separate or desired flavor, you can add any sweeteners or flavoring agents.
There are not only one but several methods that you can use for making weed tea. Let us have a look at the three most popular methods:
The first and easiest method is the stovetop method of brewing cannabis tea. You are not supposed to use any complicated apparatus or device.
- This method requires you to add water/other fat-infused liquids to the decarboxylated cannabis and heat it on the stovetop.
- Keep the stove at a low setting, and do not forget to mix it occasionally so that the flavors are added perfectly to the tea.
- Strain the tea using a cheesecloth or mesh strainer.
- Add a tea bag or loose tea to the infused liquid and set it aside for the desired time.
- If you are okay with using sweeteners or flavors, add them to the tea as you prefer.
Slow cooker method
The second popular method that you can use for brewing cannabis tea is the slow cooker method.
- You have to place the activated cannabis along with the preferred liquid on a slow cooker.
- It is not supposed to be cooked on high heat; therefore, put the cooker on slow heat and simmer it for several hours.
- You can take a preferred time of 4 to 6 hours, which is considered the best.
- After this, strain the mixture using a cheesecloth and add teabags or flavors per your preferences.
The third method for making weed tea is through an infuser or a teapot.
- In this method, you must place the activated cannabis inside the infusion and pour water or whatever mixture you prefer over the canopies.
- You have to let it steep for a desired time period, and then, you can add tea bags or loose tea to enhance the flavors as per your desires.
- There are many sweeteners available out there that you can use to sweeten your cannabis drink.
Selecting the right strain
When you are preparing to make weed tea at home, an important thing to understand is the strain. It is because the effects you want from your cannabis largely depend on the strain that you choose. You will find multiple strains on the market when it comes to cannabis, and beverages can be made from all the strains. One must consider the desired effect that one wants to get from the cannabis drink while selecting the strain. You can go for relaxation, creativity, or pain relief.
For instance, Indica strains are considered highly potent, and you can expect a more relaxing experience if you choose a strain for your weed drink. On the other hand, with strains that are from the sativa family or are made by crossing any other ingredient with the sativa strain, you must expect more of an uplifting and energetic effect. Various hybrid strains are available on the market, from which you can get the effects of both Sativa and Indica.
When you are making weed tea, there are several important things that you need to keep in mind. The first one among them is the dosage. Deciding the appropriate and most desired dosage of cannabis while you are making weed tea is very challenging. You must always start by adding a low dose; gradually, you can increase it if you desire.
Various factors help you decide the right cannabis dosage, and these are your tolerance, desired effects, and the potency of the cannabis strain that you are using. Also, suppose you are unsure about the dosage that is appropriate for you. In that case, you can prefer consulting a medical professional or a bad tender so that you can get personalized recommendations and advice.
Applying flavors and enhancers
It is not necessary that everyone like the raw flavor of cannabis; therefore, artificial flavors and sweeteners are available in the market. You can add your preferred flavor to the weed tea to enhance the flavor. There are various ingredients and herbs, like chamomile, mint, and spices, including cinnamon and ginger, that can enhance the flavors of your weed tea.
Additionally, you can get artificial flavors of honey, lemon, or vanilla from the market to add a different taste to your tea. These ingredients can complement the taste of cannabis and also deliver therapeutic benefits.
Safety and legal considerations
While you are making cannabis tea, you must always prioritize safety and legal considerations before anything else. When you are safe, you don’t have to worry about any potential harm, and being legally aware also prevents any complications.
Make sure to keep all cannabis products securely away from children and pets. If they are going to consume these things, there can be serious harmful effects on them.
Also, always make sure to consume these cannabis products responsibly because overdosing can lead to serious side effects.
Moreover, always understand the laws regarding cannabis use in your area so that you can avoid any legal proceedings. There are different laws and regulations regarding consuming cannabis in different states of the United States of America. Make sure to go through them once before you start making weed tea at your home.
The experience of making weed tea at home can be delightful and relaxing. If you follow the steps that are mentioned in the comprehensive guide that we have presented here, you definitely can create a potent and delicious cannabis-infused beverage.
Also, it is going to be perfectly tailored according to your choices. Always make sure to prefer choosing the right strain and properly activate the THC in the cannabis. This guide will help you experiment with flavors and enhancements to make a personalized cannabis drink for yourself. Moreover, if you practice a little and add some creativity to the process, you can enjoy the benefits of weed tea and explore new flavors and effects.