We’ve all got that handy glass pipe. We go to her no matter what the occasion or where we are. But we’ve all seen what happens with multiple uses: it gets filthy. This is due to resin buildup.
What is Resin?
Many plants produce resin naturally. It is the substance that causes the trichomes to stick together. But after a while, the gooey matter burns to tar and sticks to your piece. This makes cleaning difficult.
Here are the best ways to smoke resin
Several people ask how to make resin out of glass pipe, and clean and dry the pipe. The good news is that you can remove the resin from your glass pipe. The bad news is that doing so incorrectly can result in pipe damage. Here’s how to properly remove the resin!
How often to clean a pipe
How often do you read advice columns that recommend filling a plastic baggie with a cleansing substance, soaking the piece overnight, scraping the resin off with another substance, and a slew of other steps?
All of this seems like much work. It is actually very easy to make resin out of glass pipe.
Cleaning your piece daily is the best way to simplify the cleaning process. Are you too lazy for this? We’re not surprised. However, it would help if you cleaned your piece at least once a week.
How to clean a glass pipe quickly (How do I get the Resin out of Glass Pipe)
1. Remove residue from the pipe
Turn your pipe upside down and gently tap it against a garbage can or bowl. Your goal is to remove any loose residue from your pipe.
Next, remove all the significant and easily dislodged resin pieces in the pipe with a long, narrow object such as a pipe cleaner, cotton swab, or needle. Be gentle with yourself. Your goal is to remove only some of the resin but only the easy-to-remove resin.
This is the first step if you want to get the Resin out of Glass pipe
2. Place the pipe in the bag
Fill the plastic bag halfway with rubbing or isopropyl alcohol. Use 90% alcohol because it will work faster. The more diluted the rubbing alcohol, the longer it will take to remove all tar and resin from your pipe.
Place your pipe in the bag and submerge it in the alcohol. Then, to the bag, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of salt. Because the salt will act as an abrasive sponge to scrub away the resin, use coarse-grained salt rather than table salt.
3. Pipe shake
Rotate the pipe in your plastic bag. It would help if you worked the salt into the pipe’s interior. Use your fingers to see how much salt you can get into it.
Shake the bag for 1-2 minutes, or until the pipe appears clean, after you’ve gotten as much salt as possible into it.
4. Soak tube
Allow the pipe to soak in the isopropyl alcohol/salt solution for 12 hours. Don’t be concerned if the salt appears to be dissolving in the alcohol. As needed, season with more salt.
Check the pipe after 12 hours. If the salt is filthy, soak it in a fresh mixture for another 12 hours. If it appears clean, proceed to the next step.
5. Washing pipe
Take your pipe out of the bag. To remove all traces of alcohol and salt from the pipe, wash it with dish soap and warm water.
To remove stubborn stains, soak a cotton swab in clean rubbing alcohol and rub it on the stain.
6. By boiling the pipe
- Remove any loose residue: Begin by gently tapping the pipe against the side of a bowl or garbage can to remove any loose resin. Then, using a cotton swab, remove any remaining gunk.
- Clean: Clean the pipe with warm water to remove any loose particles.
- Caution: When rinsing the pipe, use warm water. When you add cold water to boiling water, the temperature changes dramatically, which may cause your pipe to break.
- Boil pipe: Bring 3-4 inches of water to a boil in a small pot. Reduce the heat to a simmer once it has reached a boil. Immerse your pipe in water and allow it to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot to ensure the water does not evaporate, which could cause your pipe to break.
- Inspect pipe: After the time is up, remove the small pot from the heat and drain the water inside the pipe. Because the pipe will be scorching, use a hot pad or oven mitt to handle it. If you put the pipe in cold water to cool it, you risk shattering it. Check for any remaining resin inside your pipe. The boiling process may need to be repeated several times before cleaning the pipe.
- Remove any remaining residue: Remove any remaining residue using a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab. If the pipe has any water stains, soak it in a mixture of lemon juice and water.
- Air dry: Allow your pipe to air dry completely before using it again.
How to dry a pipe after cleaning
Laying a towel on a table is the best way to dry a pipe after cleaning it. Place your pipe in the center of the towel and air dry for 1-2 hours. Before using it, make sure it’s scorched.
In conclusion, there are several methods for getting the resin out of glass pipe to smoke. These include using rubbing alcohol and salt, boiling the pipe in water, or using a pipe cleaner. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to choose the one that works best for you and your pipe. Ultimately, the key is to regularly clean your pipe to ensure that you are getting the best possible smoking experience.